≡ Menu

Samsung Refrigerator Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Filed Over Alleged Frozen Coil Defect

Samsung Refrigerator Owners File Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Against Samsung Over Alleged Defect That Causes Refrigerator Coils To Freeze Over.

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (hereafter “Samsung” or “Defendants”) in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (styled Jeff Weske, Jo Anna Frager and Darryl Myhre v. Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Civil Action Case No. 2:10-cv-04811-WJM -MF) alleging, among other things, that Samsung sold refrigerators containing a defect that causes the refrigerators’ coils to freeze over, resulting in the failure of the refrigerator to cool, which has caused consumers to suffer damages for lost groceries, spoilage and repairs, according to class action lawsuit news reports.

The Samsung refrigerator class action lawsuit complaint reportedly alleges that certain Samsung French door, side-by-side and bottom freezer refrigerators (model numbers RF266AASH, RS263BBWP, RB1955SH, RS2533SW, RS267LASH, RS267TDRS, RS2630WW) the refrigerators are designed and manufactured with heated coils that are intended to prevent excess frost from developing in the back of the machine, but instead of preventing frost, the coils allegedly allow frost and ice to build up in the refrigerators until the ice clogs and/or disables the machine’s fans, making it impossible for the fans to work to keep the machine cool.

The Samsung refrigerator coil class action lawsuit complaint is reportedly brought on behalf of the following putative class members, unless otherwise excluded:

All persons or entities residing in the United States who own, or have owned, Samsung refrigerator models RF266AASH, RS263BBWP, RB1955SH, RS2533SW, RS267LASH, RS267TDRS, RS2630WW and/or any other Samsung refrigerator model containing a defect that causes the refrigerator’s coils to ice over and the refrigerator to stop cooling.

For more information on the Samsung refrigerator coil class action lawsuit, read the Samsung class action complaint.

If You Have Thoughts On The Samsung Refrigerator Coil Class Action Lawsuit, Share Your Class Action Comments Below.

{ 898 comments… add one }

• Raymond Hanson November 23, 2014, 12:58 pm

I purchased the Samsung Refrigerator Nov 27th 2010. Just noticed the ice coming through the small slots on the back panel of the refrigerator yesterday. The fan is making a racket and the refrigerator is not cooling properly. Please add me to the class action lawsuit.

• Jashua Delgado November 23, 2014, 9:16 pm

I bought my Samsung refrigerator around may 2012 (RF263BEAESR) and I’ve had Sears fix my cooling system 2 times and the problem still persist.
    I paid around $2500 for this refrigerator with the mentality of “if I pay a lot of money I should get something good that I won’t have to worry about for at least a decade” boy was I wrong.

• david schell November 24, 2014, 4:36 pm

My Samsung side by side model # RS267LASH-XAA, has been freezing the food in the frige for over 6 months now. I have to put any food that I do not want frozen on the middle shelf or higher. I have had the coils cleaned and the drain hole cleared a number of times, I set the temp at it’s highest setting and it still keeps freezing up. I am not happy with Samsung!!

• S steffen November 26, 2014, 1:29 am

My samsung refrig is a lemon, when I first purchased it it went out a few weeks, then they brought me a different one and soon the cooling of the refrigerator went out as we were wondering, why , sour milk, they nicely came out and replaced something, toall a long story short , I was told by the store I purchased it that my warrenty was done, now I find out I had a four year all along, 4pnths after the fact, now I have a very new looking refrig, that doesnot work, freezer is great, but the refrig frosts all up inside with no circulation, very sad and unable to have it serviced because of cost!! What a shame!!

• joseph lorms November 26, 2014, 11:01 pm

Been having this problem for two plus years…and have spent a lot of money with no regular performance….how can I get this fixed or compensated for the issue?

• Tamara Harris December 2, 2014, 10:47 am

I have had my Samsung side-by-side serviced several times for coils freezing up. The auto defrost has never worked, work, and the instructions on how to force the defrost never has worked. I finally figured out how to take it apart myself to avoid paying for a repair service time and time again. It becomes so frozen, it takes sometimes up to 36 hours to thaw even with the panel removed. In the meantime I’ve lost $$$$$ in groceries. At this writing it sits in the middle of my kitchen floor, unplugged and empty … defrosting again. Groceries in the trash.

• John Masotta December 3, 2014, 8:40 am

I bought a side by side with bottom freezer just over a year ago (warranty just expired) Called Samsung without a response and called again the second day and got the name of an authorized repair company CONE APPLIANCE REPAIR and gave them the confirmation number 5110195973 and and a transaction number 2131822142. Their response was that they could be out in a week or so. A full refridgerator and freezer full of food is rapidly spoiling. We are seniors and feel totally helpless. This is just not right.

• John Masotta December 3, 2014, 8:45 am

I bought a side by side with a bottom freezer just over a year ago. I called Samsung and got the name of an authorized dealer. CONE APPLIANCE took the transaction number 2131822142 and the confirmation number 5110195973 and advised that they can be out in a week or so. Full fridge and freezer of spoiling food. Seniors feeling helpless :(

• thomas rahrig December 3, 2014, 4:07 pm

I have a model SAMSUNG RF 267 that has been doing the same thing for several years. Is this model part of the Lawsuit too?

• steve December 4, 2014, 6:52 pm

I know many of you speak about defrosting for hours. Just do like I do.. first unplug. take the shelves out. Pull off the panel. Take a spray bottle of hot water and go to town. Try and stay away from any cords. Put together and plug back up. Takes like 30 mins vs 24 hours. I’ve done mine about 5 times already. I know we shouldn’t have to do this but.. it is what it is.

• KR Wise December 5, 2014, 8:32 am

Samsung will not do anything for you. We purchased ours in 2009 from Sears and had trouble shortly after we purchased it. Repairs, repairs, ordering parts. Complaining about weird noises, freezing in fridge part, water dripping, you name it. We had lost food which is very expensive. This happened twice and that was half the cost of a new fridge. If you add up your food losses, you could buy a new refrigerator. We sent all our paperwork to the New Jersey attorneys handling the class action suit. Just posting here is not enough. We got a letter back saying they had received it.

Anyway, we junked it and bought a Whirlpool french door one, which we love. It has also dawned on us how much better our food is keeping. Apparently, the Samsung has these wide ranges in temperature and unless you are inside with a thermometer you might not know it. We did keep a log. It would vary by 20 degrees at times. The repairman said that was cuz it was defrosting………not. We chose a company and a fridge that did not use this repair company. You are at the mercy of the repair company under warranty and Samsung sold at a variety of stores here uses the same company. This is so stressful, I know, ours sat 6 weeks one time waiting for parts. I cheered when they hauled it out. Never will buy anything Samsung again…….one of the repair guys did say don’t buy Korean products, so that is Samsung and LG. He is now working for another company.

• Leah Cross December 13, 2014, 7:37 pm

Model # RS265TDBP
    side by side purchased new April 2012. Cooling erratic from start, stopped last spring with repairman coming after 8-9 days of waiting, then just looks at the appliance and tells us to defrost the coils for 48 hours. Now doing it for second time December, 2014, and have defrosted it myself again before the repairman has even called me back to set appt. This is obviously a design flaw. My husband and I are in 50s, working full time, cooking very little, and can’t imagine the performance of this fridge in a home with an active family!
    Please help.

• charles milliron December 19, 2014, 10:04 am

model #rf268abwp Yesterday the cooling fan started making a loud noise for the second time in two years.I removed the inside cover and the coils were all frozen over with a hugh chunk of ice hitting the fan. it takes about three hours to remove all the food and trays from this ref. and melt the ice and reinstall the cover. If you don’t know what you are doing,don’t do this yourself. please add me to the lawsuit.

What Do You Think? Share Your Class Action Lawsuit & Settlement Comments With Others Below.