≡ Menu

Samsung Refrigerator Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Filed Over Alleged Frozen Coil Defect

Samsung Refrigerator Owners File Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Against Samsung Over Alleged Defect That Causes Refrigerator Coils To Freeze Over.

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (hereafter “Samsung” or “Defendants”) in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (styled Jeff Weske, Jo Anna Frager and Darryl Myhre v. Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Civil Action Case No. 2:10-cv-04811-WJM -MF) alleging, among other things, that Samsung sold refrigerators containing a defect that causes the refrigerators’ coils to freeze over, resulting in the failure of the refrigerator to cool, which has caused consumers to suffer damages for lost groceries, spoilage and repairs, according to class action lawsuit news reports.

The Samsung refrigerator class action lawsuit complaint reportedly alleges that certain Samsung French door, side-by-side and bottom freezer refrigerators (model numbers RF266AASH, RS263BBWP, RB1955SH, RS2533SW, RS267LASH, RS267TDRS, RS2630WW) the refrigerators are designed and manufactured with heated coils that are intended to prevent excess frost from developing in the back of the machine, but instead of preventing frost, the coils allegedly allow frost and ice to build up in the refrigerators until the ice clogs and/or disables the machine’s fans, making it impossible for the fans to work to keep the machine cool.

The Samsung refrigerator coil class action lawsuit complaint is reportedly brought on behalf of the following putative class members, unless otherwise excluded:

All persons or entities residing in the United States who own, or have owned, Samsung refrigerator models RF266AASH, RS263BBWP, RB1955SH, RS2533SW, RS267LASH, RS267TDRS, RS2630WW and/or any other Samsung refrigerator model containing a defect that causes the refrigerator’s coils to ice over and the refrigerator to stop cooling.

For more information on the Samsung refrigerator coil class action lawsuit, read the Samsung class action complaint.

If You Have Thoughts On The Samsung Refrigerator Coil Class Action Lawsuit, Share Your Class Action Comments Below.

{ 938 comments… add one }

• Raymond Hanson November 23, 2014, 12:58 pm

I purchased the Samsung Refrigerator Nov 27th 2010. Just noticed the ice coming through the small slots on the back panel of the refrigerator yesterday. The fan is making a racket and the refrigerator is not cooling properly. Please add me to the class action lawsuit.

• David Pate February 1, 2015, 8:27 pm

Im in the same boat coil freezing over and fan rubbing on ice from the refrigerator not defrosting. How do I get added to the Lawsuit?

• Jashua Delgado November 23, 2014, 9:16 pm

I bought my Samsung refrigerator around may 2012 (RF263BEAESR) and I’ve had Sears fix my cooling system 2 times and the problem still persist.
    I paid around $2500 for this refrigerator with the mentality of “if I pay a lot of money I should get something good that I won’t have to worry about for at least a decade” boy was I wrong.

• david schell November 24, 2014, 4:36 pm

My Samsung side by side model # RS267LASH-XAA, has been freezing the food in the frige for over 6 months now. I have to put any food that I do not want frozen on the middle shelf or higher. I have had the coils cleaned and the drain hole cleared a number of times, I set the temp at it’s highest setting and it still keeps freezing up. I am not happy with Samsung!!

• S steffen November 26, 2014, 1:29 am

My samsung refrig is a lemon, when I first purchased it it went out a few weeks, then they brought me a different one and soon the cooling of the refrigerator went out as we were wondering, why , sour milk, they nicely came out and replaced something, toall a long story short , I was told by the store I purchased it that my warrenty was done, now I find out I had a four year all along, 4pnths after the fact, now I have a very new looking refrig, that doesnot work, freezer is great, but the refrig frosts all up inside with no circulation, very sad and unable to have it serviced because of cost!! What a shame!!

• joseph lorms November 26, 2014, 11:01 pm

Been having this problem for two plus years…and have spent a lot of money with no regular performance….how can I get this fixed or compensated for the issue?

• Tamara Harris December 2, 2014, 10:47 am

I have had my Samsung side-by-side serviced several times for coils freezing up. The auto defrost has never worked, work, and the instructions on how to force the defrost never has worked. I finally figured out how to take it apart myself to avoid paying for a repair service time and time again. It becomes so frozen, it takes sometimes up to 36 hours to thaw even with the panel removed. In the meantime I’ve lost $$$$$ in groceries. At this writing it sits in the middle of my kitchen floor, unplugged and empty … defrosting again. Groceries in the trash.

• John Masotta December 3, 2014, 8:40 am

I bought a side by side with bottom freezer just over a year ago (warranty just expired) Called Samsung without a response and called again the second day and got the name of an authorized repair company CONE APPLIANCE REPAIR and gave them the confirmation number 5110195973 and and a transaction number 2131822142. Their response was that they could be out in a week or so. A full refridgerator and freezer full of food is rapidly spoiling. We are seniors and feel totally helpless. This is just not right.

• John Masotta December 3, 2014, 8:45 am

I bought a side by side with a bottom freezer just over a year ago. I called Samsung and got the name of an authorized dealer. CONE APPLIANCE took the transaction number 2131822142 and the confirmation number 5110195973 and advised that they can be out in a week or so. Full fridge and freezer of spoiling food. Seniors feeling helpless :(

• thomas rahrig December 3, 2014, 4:07 pm

I have a model SAMSUNG RF 267 that has been doing the same thing for several years. Is this model part of the Lawsuit too?

• steve December 4, 2014, 6:52 pm

I know many of you speak about defrosting for hours. Just do like I do.. first unplug. take the shelves out. Pull off the panel. Take a spray bottle of hot water and go to town. Try and stay away from any cords. Put together and plug back up. Takes like 30 mins vs 24 hours. I’ve done mine about 5 times already. I know we shouldn’t have to do this but.. it is what it is.

• KR Wise December 5, 2014, 8:32 am

Samsung will not do anything for you. We purchased ours in 2009 from Sears and had trouble shortly after we purchased it. Repairs, repairs, ordering parts. Complaining about weird noises, freezing in fridge part, water dripping, you name it. We had lost food which is very expensive. This happened twice and that was half the cost of a new fridge. If you add up your food losses, you could buy a new refrigerator. We sent all our paperwork to the New Jersey attorneys handling the class action suit. Just posting here is not enough. We got a letter back saying they had received it.

Anyway, we junked it and bought a Whirlpool french door one, which we love. It has also dawned on us how much better our food is keeping. Apparently, the Samsung has these wide ranges in temperature and unless you are inside with a thermometer you might not know it. We did keep a log. It would vary by 20 degrees at times. The repairman said that was cuz it was defrosting………not. We chose a company and a fridge that did not use this repair company. You are at the mercy of the repair company under warranty and Samsung sold at a variety of stores here uses the same company. This is so stressful, I know, ours sat 6 weeks one time waiting for parts. I cheered when they hauled it out. Never will buy anything Samsung again…….one of the repair guys did say don’t buy Korean products, so that is Samsung and LG. He is now working for another company.

• Leah Cross December 13, 2014, 7:37 pm

Model # RS265TDBP
    side by side purchased new April 2012. Cooling erratic from start, stopped last spring with repairman coming after 8-9 days of waiting, then just looks at the appliance and tells us to defrost the coils for 48 hours. Now doing it for second time December, 2014, and have defrosted it myself again before the repairman has even called me back to set appt. This is obviously a design flaw. My husband and I are in 50s, working full time, cooking very little, and can’t imagine the performance of this fridge in a home with an active family!
    Please help.

• charles milliron December 19, 2014, 10:04 am

model #rf268abwp Yesterday the cooling fan started making a loud noise for the second time in two years.I removed the inside cover and the coils were all frozen over with a hugh chunk of ice hitting the fan. it takes about three hours to remove all the food and trays from this ref. and melt the ice and reinstall the cover. If you don’t know what you are doing,don’t do this yourself. please add me to the lawsuit.

• Pete armijo December 21, 2014, 1:33 pm

Been having the same issue with my refrigerator from samsung RS267LASH-XAA its freezing my stuff in the refrigerator part and my diabetic medication froze I had to go to the emergency room please tell me when this lawsuit goes in to affect

• William Wilkison December 22, 2014, 12:27 pm

I purchased one of these refrigerators (Model rf267 AEWP, Serial Number JJ0D4GBB600ss7P) in 2011. Since owning it, about every 2 – 4 months, I have to remove ALL food from the refrigerator compartment, turn the refrigerator off, remove the rear plastic panel in the back of the refrigerator compartment, and spend 2 to 4 hours defrosting the coils AND the defrost melt water drain line. This line (roughly 18 to 24 inches long) goes from refrigerator compartment, down the back of refrigerator behind the freezer drawer, and supposedly delivers “auto”-defrost melt water to a tray on the bottom of the refrigerator where it evaporates with the fan blowing across the condenser area. Sadly, it doesn’t work this way, because water in this line freezes, stops up the line, then the defrost liquid water runs inside the refrigerator, floods the area below the fresh food drawers, which then overflows to the bottom freezer compartment which completely freezes this drawer in place. It also freezes up the cooling coils which causes the refrigerator to stop cooling. The whole clean out process takes half a day, and costs anywhere from $100 to $300 for a repair person to make a call to do the work (if I don’t do it myself).
    This is a design defect that will be present for the life of this refrigerator. Having to do this every 2 to 3 months is unacceptable. This refrigerator should be replaced with a system that works properly.

William Wilkison

• John Caldwell December 27, 2014, 10:14 am

You took the words right out of my mouth. Same model! Same problem. I HAVE HAD IT SERVICED 6 TIMES AND LEARNED MORE AND MORE EVERY TIME. REFRIGERATOR REPAIR PEOPLE HAVE GIVEN UP ON ANY EFFECTIVE SOLUTION. THE DRAIN HOLE WILL CONTINUE TO FREEZE REGARDLESS OF NEW HEATING PROBE ATTACHED AND INSERTED INTO THE HOLE.
      ARE YOU READING THIS SAMSUNG? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Katherine December 23, 2014, 12:33 am

I purchase a RF266AEPN and it has the same problem after having it for a year. Have Sears out to repair it and it has happen again after couple of years. Now it is freezing again.
    How can I join the class action lawsuit?

• Shirley Meinheit December 25, 2014, 4:30 pm

We currently own a Samsung model RS267TDRS refrigerator. We have had repair personnel out repeatedly to fix this issue. The last time the technician told us to unplug the unit and let it defrost for 24 hours. Please add us to the lawsuit.

• James Hurry December 27, 2014, 10:09 pm

I have had to thaw the ice out of the circulating fan several times. Continues to freeze up. I would like to know what thee progress of this class action lawsuit..

Sincerely ,
    James

• sung baek December 28, 2014, 1:18 am

I have had the same problem ever since 2011. Would be great if somebody could find solutions for this. Please add me to the class action in the mean time.

• Sonny Simonian December 29, 2014, 12:47 pm

Second time in the two years of owning the rf217acwp that the defrost issue has cropped-up. So far that one has run us about $500 in repairs and lost food. This last time, the ice maker stopped working as well as the compressor.

I just want to say, a class action lawsuit is being fairly lenient on Samsung.

• Bill Williams December 30, 2014, 2:19 pm

The RFG298HDRS has the same issues. Middle drawer freezes up completely. Samsung and Lowe’s play the dumb game if you contact them. Does anyone know if replacing a defrost sensor will help the problem?

• Beverly Cobb December 30, 2014, 9:50 pm

Bought my Samsung refrigerator model RM255LASH in 2007 I have had freezing issues cooling in fridge part issues water dripping from the filter housing I have replaced so many parts and still not able to fix the problem. Please add me to the class action suit. This appliance was too expensive to just throw out!

• Tricia December 31, 2014, 9:52 am

This is my 2nd post. I purchased the Samsung RF217ACWP 2 years ago from Lowes. I experienced ongoing problems with water in the crisper drawers, and then the entire back of the refrigerator froze solid and the fan started making a loud racket. I paid over $400.00 in parts and labor this past October. The serviceman told me it was a known problem, and he sees it regularly. When I called Samsung, the tech told me he showed nothing in their database for this issue on my model. Then he told me I might keep too much food in my fridge. For 2 months everything seemed fine, and I thought the problems were behind me. Now the fridge isn’t holding temperature and rises up into the 50’s. The tech came back and informs me the defroster is not working. The entire back panel is frozen once again. Parts and labor will be over $200.00. I told him Samsung says they have no record of any problems and he laughed. Then he showed me on his tablet of at least 5 published Service Bulletins and 6 Known Service Tips from Samsung on my specific model alone. Once again, I’ll have to empty the fridge and let it thaw for 2 days before it can be repaired. I will be contacting the attorneys with full information and joining the class action lawsuit. I’ve never experienced such poor Customer Service or complete lack of accountability from such a large corporation.

• Kerry Mitchell January 1, 2015, 12:15 am

Yes please add me. Bought ours in December 2009. Been having issues so much food wasted over this garbage of a refrigerator. Spending my new years eve defrosting it once again had a repair man out fixed it before. Ice machine won’t work so have to keep ice in the freezer part as it can’t get cold enough to make or keep ice. I won’t ever purchase another Samsung again!

• Stephen Childers January 2, 2015, 8:06 am

I also own the the Samsung RS267LASH. I had same problem with my fridge coils freezing up. I had to have the defrost heaters/cool coils replaced AT MY COST!! Also the from freezer door metal around the water/ice dispenser is rusting out with surface rust from moister making ti the veneer metal around the bezel. I have contacted Samsung and they could give a shit less. I have posted pictures and spread the word that samsung appliances are JUNK! !

• KR Wise January 13, 2015, 1:23 pm

Can’t emphasize this enough. Just saying you want to join in the suit is not enough. Read the beginning of this thread for info on where to send your paperwork.

Samsung could care less. You are wasting your time and money. We junked it and I have never been so relieved as when they hauled that junker out of the house and put in our new fridge.

Look at the floor space these stores give Samsung. I think there must be some deal going on with this whole thing.

• Pedro Choca January 3, 2015, 11:02 am

We purchased a Samsung RS267TD in July 2010. Soon after the warranty had expired, we had the same problem with the unit not defrosting. We had to call the Sears repair company and they charged us $200 to defrost it. We have had to do it ourselves twice more. There was another problem while it was still under warranty, and they had to replace the control module at that time.

• Jeff January 3, 2015, 12:56 pm

I have an RS267TDRS that was ordered in April of 2010 and took delivery in June of that year. Not too long after putting into the house began having problems with the condensing fan making a constant noise. I replaced the fan with a new one and while repairing it, I noticed fan was full of ice. Removed the ice and put back together. Worked fine for a couple months and then refrigerator was displaying a high temperature. It was also making the noise again. Placed a thermometer in unit and it was not properly cooling. Contacted Samsung and a technician came out, costing me $80 to inspect it. Said it looks like the PCB main and PCB assembly will need replaced at a cost $586. I obtained the parts at repairclinic.com for $200 and snapped them in. Also had to de-ice the condensing fan again. Worked fine for awhile and then fan started making noise again. Got into the refrigerator yesterday 1/2/15 and the refrigerator temp was 56. De-iced the condensing fan again and overnight it went back down to temperature of 38 degrees. Now the refrigerator temperature is flashing, which means there is a problem. The refrigerator does not seem cool. Just got home from the grocery store with hundreds of dollars worth of groceries.

• David Samples January 4, 2015, 2:10 pm

We purchased a Samsung RF266ABPA refrigerator in 2008. We continue to have icing problems and repeated manual defrosting of the coils. I was unaware of a class action lawsuit and am attempting defrost and repair myself after learning this from repair videos on the internet. I have always indicated that this was a poor design as we have also experienced ice maker problems regularly due to little space between the ice bucket and top of the freezer drawer. During the second year of ownership the computer board also had to be repaired. Please inform me of the correct way to be included in the class action law suit . I hope it is not too late to be included.

• Robert Dubay January 26, 2015, 7:56 am

We have had the same coil freezing problems and had ice maker replaced. Ours is Model RF267ABRS. We just had the drain coil flushed out last week due to water pouring out the bottom of refrigerator and ice is already forming inside of the back of it again. Is there a class action on this model, if not how do I get onboard????

• Corey Blevins January 5, 2015, 9:57 pm

I’ve fought this coil issue the entire life of the fridge, 8 years. Please add me to the class action lawsuit if possible.

• derrick January 6, 2015, 10:13 pm

We have had our fridge for about 2 years and it froze up. Currently thawing hoping it works tomorrow. Model # rs263tdrs. Please add me to this lawsuit.

• Pam Huffines January 7, 2015, 5:15 pm

bought rs267lash samsung refridgerator and it is a total lemon. had 2 repair people out, finally replaced the heater and ice maker 2 weeks ago and now no water from despenser. It isn’t cooling in fridge either. Unbelievable.

• ernie lang January 9, 2015, 3:08 pm

I am canadian from northern ontario .bought rs263td in 2011 about every six months i have had to remove shelving and cover to de-frost internal coils.I also purchased stove/dish washer over counter microwave ,OH also purchased $8000.00DLP 56 inch flat screen samsung tv.in 2006 that after 2 months at service shop came back with a $900.00invoice for repairs.1 year ago microwave door and electronics had to be replaced ,2 years ago dishwasher would not function spent days talking to service in florida and gave up so being previous samsung dealer and a retired service tech.fixed it myself .So how can I get onboard I would love to send a statement to samsung letting them know that it is all about service and not just profit!! Thank You Ernie Lang.

• Chris Dunham January 15, 2015, 12:42 pm

Purchase a Samsung French Door Refrigerator in January 2011 from Lowes. It started acting up around December 26, 2014. Ice began to come through the holes on the insde of the refrigerator. The freezer completely quit cooling soon afterward. Now the refrigerator will not cool either.

• susan dubay January 15, 2015, 4:44 pm

I think the model rf267abrs should be added to the lawsuit. Water stand inside the bottom of the refrigerator, freezes over and leeks out on the floor. We paid a lot of money and did not get the quality we paid for.

• Andrew Stevermer January 19, 2015, 7:37 am

Purchased the RS267TDWP$1240 on 12/10/10. Began having icing and evaporator van motor failure on 9/10/13. Paid almost $300 to replace motor. Now I am having the same problem. This is clearly a design failure. Please add me to the law suit.

• Sharon Casserly January 20, 2015, 12:00 pm

I have owned a Samsung refrigerator for 6 months and have had a tech out 4 times to defrost the freezer!

• Sandra Dyer January 21, 2015, 5:26 am

How to sign up for this class action suit.

• Glenda January 24, 2015, 1:15 pm

I purchased a Samsung RF267 a couple of years ago from Lowe’s. The coil freezes up every 3-4 months, water stands in the bottom of my refrigerator and then it freezes and I can’t open the bottom drawer. I have pulled it all apart multiple times to defrost and clean up. NOT what I expected from a $2200 appliance! VERY disappointed in the brand!!

• James Grunewald January 25, 2015, 8:16 am

I have a Samsung RF266AEBP side by side that the back panel has frozen three 3 times in past year and half lost food and lost time please add me to the lawsuit

• James January 25, 2015, 4:24 pm

Any update on the class action? My RF266AEWP has the same problem.

• alfred fredricks January 29, 2015, 5:36 pm

I bought a complete Samsung kitchen set from lowes in 2012.a month after the warrenty was over, the refrigerator started to not cool and the fan was making a racket.two times a repair man came out and attempted to repair it to no avail. both lowes and Samsung could care less about their customers as they both said they could do nothing as it was out of warrenty.please add my to your lawsuit.

• Joseph Corsini January 30, 2015, 1:43 pm

Please add me to the class action law suit. My unit continues to freeze up and stop functioning. This happened twice in the last 12 months. We had 2 other repairs on our unit during this same timeframe. Samsung customer service promises support and does absolutely nothing.

• PAUL MC TIERNAN January 30, 2015, 7:41 pm

My wife and I purchase a Samsung 3 door bottom freezer model RF268acrs/xxa in December 2011. Several times we have had to remove all the food in the refrigerator and unplug the refrigerator and allow the Twin coolers to defrost. Another problem this refrigerator has is the water drain that comes off natural from the coils of the frig and freezer, the drip pans area gets clogged and the water drops to the bottom of the freezer compartment. This was an expensive Refrigerator 2500.00 I would expect more out of Samsung and the Retailer LOWE’S. Pictures if needed. Currently we are shopping for a new refrigerator. SAMSUNG put more reliability into your product.

• A D February 1, 2015, 12:20 pm

I purchased the refrigerator in Nov. 2013. Model #RF217ACRS. It has started to freeze the drainage pipes and started to leak water in to the crisper bins. It took 24 hours to defrost and when we turned the refrigerator on it froze again. Please add me to the Class Action lawsuit

• Peter W. February 1, 2015, 2:19 pm

We bought our Samsung Side-by-Side Refrigerator in July 2010 and within two years our fridge side stopped working. My husband did some research online and read about the coils freezing up. He watched a YouTube video on how to defrost and fix the issue. Sure enough, after 5 hours with a blow dryer, we were able to melt the ice around the coils and within a few hours our fridge was working normally again. We were hoping that this was a one-time issue. But, of course, it wasn’t. Every 6 months we have had to sit for 4-5 hours with a blow dryer and clothing steamer defrosting the ice that freezes over the fan and coil. We have had to do this about 4-5 times since we have had the fridge. Please add us to the class action lawsuit. WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER “SAMSUCK” PRODUCT AGAIN!!!!!

• eric February 2, 2015, 1:31 pm

model: RS267LABP. freezer coils frost over, leading to the fridge not cooling properly. defrosted the fridge for half a day letting the ice melt off of everything, plugged it back in now the numbers on the fridge display aren’t showing correct freezer temp, ice will freeze in the freezer on the bottom not the top. fridge is around 60 degrees.

• Connie valencic February 7, 2015, 12:51 pm

I have a Samsung French door bottom freezer and I have to defrost every four months. Could you please add me to lawsuit

• Michael F. Nichols February 10, 2015, 11:46 am

I have a Samsung RF267AERS/XAA and the condensation drain tube freezes up thus runs water under the bottom tray which then freezes. One has to disassemble the inside back pannel, take a turkey baster, with hot water, squirt into the drain tube until it unfreezes and drains water into the drip pan under the refrig. 30 days later, same problem. I’ve changed the fan motor and sensor and the problem still presists. Telephone calls to Samsung regarding this fault and they deny any problem. Go to the web and it is full of complaints regarding this problem including a video showing how to attempt to fix it.

• HYK Fisherman February 20, 2015, 7:31 pm

Hello. It seems some people write absolute BS here. I have been owning Samsung side by side fridge 4 years now and it has been the best fridge I have had. It is beautiful outside and inside is nicely lighted compared to many others. Ice making seems to be a bit slow, but I have no problem for 4 family members unless I have a party – well, I have second fridge in the basement for that purpose. Last week, suddenly refrigerator side was not cooling while freezer side was working fine. I did a lot of Google search and found a nice website – Repairclinic.com (I have no intention to advertise a company, but I just like to share) It suggested which part might be bad for the problems I had. I like to fix things in the house myself so I opened up the refrigerator panel (back inside of food section) and was able to separate the evaporator fan and tested the motor with the multi-meter that I bought long time ago from Radio Shack. Wires were not totally open (burnt), but the resistance was something like 30K. The resistance should be close to 0 if the fan motor is good. So I ordered a fan motor and replaced. The part costed me $60 ($50 + shipping). Now, the refrigerator runs perfectly fine and I am so proud of myself (also made my wife so happy).
    I hope the fridge continue to serve many more years – I can replace another motor if it burns, but maybe the original one was not good – sometime there is bad part.

What Do You Think? Share Your Class Action Lawsuit & Settlement Comments With Others Below.