≡ Menu

Samsung Refrigerator Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Filed Over Alleged Frozen Coil Defect

Samsung Refrigerator Owners File Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Against Samsung Over Alleged Defect That Causes Refrigerator Coils To Freeze Over.

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (hereafter “Samsung” or “Defendants”) in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (styled Jeff Weske, Jo Anna Frager and Darryl Myhre v. Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Civil Action Case No. 2:10-cv-04811-WJM -MF) alleging, among other things, that Samsung sold refrigerators containing a defect that causes the refrigerators’ coils to freeze over, resulting in the failure of the refrigerator to cool, which has caused consumers to suffer damages for lost groceries, spoilage and repairs, according to class action lawsuit news reports.

The Samsung refrigerator class action lawsuit complaint reportedly alleges that certain Samsung French door, side-by-side and bottom freezer refrigerators (model numbers RF266AASH, RS263BBWP, RB1955SH, RS2533SW, RS267LASH, RS267TDRS, RS2630WW) the refrigerators are designed and manufactured with heated coils that are intended to prevent excess frost from developing in the back of the machine, but instead of preventing frost, the coils allegedly allow frost and ice to build up in the refrigerators until the ice clogs and/or disables the machine’s fans, making it impossible for the fans to work to keep the machine cool.

The Samsung refrigerator coil class action lawsuit complaint is reportedly brought on behalf of the following putative class members, unless otherwise excluded:

All persons or entities residing in the United States who own, or have owned, Samsung refrigerator models RF266AASH, RS263BBWP, RB1955SH, RS2533SW, RS267LASH, RS267TDRS, RS2630WW and/or any other Samsung refrigerator model containing a defect that causes the refrigerator’s coils to ice over and the refrigerator to stop cooling.

For more information on the Samsung refrigerator coil class action lawsuit, read the Samsung class action complaint.

If You Have Thoughts On The Samsung Refrigerator Coil Class Action Lawsuit, Share Your Class Action Comments Below.

{ 1051 comments… add one }

• Don A. April 21, 2015, 5:01 pm

I own a RM255LASH and it has a problem that started out right after I bought it and continues to grow. When just a year old, there started appearing a few drops of water on the floor every now and then, nothing to be of major concern. Then over the last 3 or 4 years the puddles keep getting larger and larger. I started out just dabbing up the water and since the frig was out of warranty, I have figured that cleaning up the water was easier than paying someone a few hundred bucks to come look at it, scratch their head and tell me they need to be here when the problem is happening. Today the water is still running out every 2-7 days but now the water runs all the way across the kitchen floor. It happens every 2-7 days. My towels keep getting bigger and bigger. Note that a big sheet of ice also forms on the very bottom of the freezer now for about the same amount of time. I thought I was misled to believe I was getting a classy unit with the Samsung refrigerator but this has been driving me crazy. Being in the repair business myself and after having too many techs in the past say “can’t fix it unless I see it happening”, that has led me to skip calling someone to look at it. I do all my repairs for years now but this one has me stumped. I do see that searching for “Samsung RM255LASH water on floor” produces other people with the same issues as mine. How does Samsung get away with selling this junk? I never had a refrigerator before that gave such problems.

• Gary Hitchcock April 21, 2015, 7:40 pm

In 3/2014 we bought a Samsung counter depth refrigerator RF197ACRS from Florida Builder Appliances. Not sure when it first started happening but in December we noticed water in the crisper drawers and upon removing them to empty the water we found a layer of ice as this is just above the freezer. So after contacting Florida Builder Appliances who did nothing, I called Samsung and they sent out a warranty company, Lakes Electronics. I live in a gated community so when the gate called I decided to go out to the driveway to meet the technician. I found it odd that he was walking up my driveway with a huge part under his arm. I thought to myself that is odd, as an engineer myself I would think that a problem needs to be diagnosed before bringing new parts into the equation. So after an hour the technician announces that it is all fixed but being an engineer I wanted to know more. The technician was very reserved and would not offer much information. I did get him to say that once this new part was installed he’d never seen this problem reoccur. So again my engineering kicks in and I decide they had a design problem. Well 2 weeks later same thing, and I call Florida Builder Appliances and they do nothing. So I call Samsung and had to go through this all over again. Amazing Lakes Electronics sends the same technician and this time he puts on a “leak” kit and tells me that Samsung instructed him that the refrigerator needed to be tipped from front to back. Folks you don’t have to be an engineer to understand that this is what we use to call a “kluge” in my business. Little did I know that it is all over the internet that there is a class action lawsuit against Samsung refrigerators since 2011? I asked Florida Builder Appliances to give me a full refund and they have refused. Their management is selling a product that doesn’t work, they know it and don’t care.

• Amy Groves April 23, 2015, 11:40 pm

We are currently defrosting our Samsung RF267ABRS. We would love to be included in this lawsuit! We have spent time and money fixing this fridge.

• Becky Connolly May 13, 2015, 5:01 pm

I am doing the same thing. Our Samsung refrigerator started freezing up within the last year and has ruined so much food either freezing it or thawing unnecessarily. Water build up in the crisper drawers, ice sticking together, almost burning your hand if you touch it. We unplugged it once in the last six months and let is totally defrost to see if that fixed it. It really didn’t. Then as of yesterday, it started making a terrible noise in the inside back. When the doors open, it stops, then restarts after closing. This is also one of Samsung’s bottom freezer double door refrigerator units. I am so angry that we spent so much money on this unit and it has consistently been a disappointment. We have only owned this unit for about 4 years, if that. I’m not sure if the class action is still going on but we definitely need to be involved in it. This is just awful. How can a company sell such a low end lousy product? Our Refrigerator is model number RF217ACBP.

• Melinda Bass May 2, 2015, 12:26 pm

ice forming on bottom of freezer

• Jennifer Ross May 6, 2015, 8:16 am

This is crap! We would like to be included as well. We were so happy when we got this fridge and now this! So yeah we would like either our money back or a new fridge please.

• Rey Mendez May 12, 2015, 2:27 pm

Our model RF267AERS/XAA is showing signs of the same problem described in this lawsuit. I’ve attempted to discuss matter with Samsung technicians over online chat, but each time the conveniently disconnect once I share details of the problem at hand. I didn’t save for chat ID I was assigned by Samsung, but did on the second session before Samsung representative had chance to disconnect. It was LTK1125603876939X if that helps with documentation efforts demonstrating that Samsung is not acting in good faith to remedy this issue.

• Jeannie Heath May 12, 2015, 8:46 pm

Wish I had seen this before I purchased my Samsung French Door Model RF217ACPN – obviously the issues have not been resolved and they continue to manufacture with this flawed system. The condenser ices over and then the refrigerator goes to about 64 degrees. No repair people can agree on what will actually fix it… thaw it out, throw parts at it and hope. I heard control panel, defrost heater, defrost sensor……… sick of loosing food and the money I paid for this. 3 years is not the expected life on any appliance – especially at this price range. I hope the class action is restarted, pushed, Samsung needs to recall and fix.

• Ben Dam May 14, 2015, 8:38 am

We bought a Samsung refrigerator model RS267TDWP at Lowe in Albuquerque back in June 2011. We are having the same issue with the heater not working. It’s causing the ice build up and the fan rubbing against the ice. It’s making lousy noise when the right door closed. We are not sure if this is a warranty part. We want to be a part of this lawsuit. Thank you.

• RA Wise June 27, 2015, 12:43 pm

You cannot just say you want to be part of the lawsuit on this blog. You need to have contacted the lawyers handling this suit which was at the beginning of this blog and a long time ago. Forget about getting Samsung to do a thing. They will not fix it and the customer service is worthless. They never admit to anything and say they have never heard of whatever you are complaining about. We junked the French Door refrigerator and bought a Whirlpool. I am more than pleased with it and their customer service. I will NEVER buy another Samsung product. You can pay for a new fridge with all the spoiled food you are wasting. I was soooo glad when they hauled that Samsung out of the house.

• Kathleen Bobbs May 20, 2015, 6:01 pm

Please include me in class action law suit. I called Samsung for repair as I keep getting ice under the deli drawer and need to defrost monthly, I was told by repair service there would be a fee to fix. Went on line for help and repair service recommendation didn’t work. The refrigerator is a piece of junk. Where are the quality standards. Note: I have a friend whose Samsung ice maker freezes up and makes one big block of ice with their Samsung. They too are so disgusted with their Samsung.

• Pat O'Bryan May 21, 2015, 4:28 pm

I am experiencing the same problem with Model RF4287HAWP, purchased in September of 2012. I have had it “repaired” 4 times already. I have just spent 2-3 hours “chatting” with 3 (maybe 4?) Samsung people while the thing was being “repaired” (defrosted, basically) again by a repair guy. The thing is, it takes more than a year for the ice to build up enough that you cannot open the freezer. By then it is out of warranty.
    I am not sure that it is even fixable. So, for the life of the unit I will be paying $200+ every 6 months or so to get it “repaired”.

• Jeffery Hughes May 23, 2015, 7:16 pm

We bought a Samsung side by side model RS265LBWP. Not long after we noticed the fridge side was not cooling. We called for a technician. He came out and replaced something. The coils were iced over. We stopped calling technicians and resorted to defrosting the coils every month to three months.

• Nicole May 30, 2015, 10:53 am

Yes, we would like to be included in this lawsuit as well. We have been having problems with water under our crisper drawer and Samsung claims to know nothing about this issue and will not own their problem. They want to charge me to have a technician out because they sway there is no recall; therefore, they will not pay for their problem.

• Micah Bocanegra May 30, 2015, 2:18 pm

We would like to be included in this as well. We’ve had to defrost our too!

• Margaret Gulledge May 31, 2015, 11:35 am

I have had nothing but problems with my Samsung Model RF267AARS? I have had to defrost it several times and this last time the service man informed me that this model has nothing but problems under the criper tray – ice forming, etc. I had been told the tubing was just clogged in the past – however this service man told me it is a flaw and unless a new part is installed by the manufacturer it will continue to “freeze up” – told me I should get this included in the class action suit for Samsung? I just do not know how I can get included in the suit. In the meantime what do I need to do to have the refrigerator fixed or replaced?

• Don Flynn June 4, 2015, 9:48 am

Ours is a RF197ACPN, manufactured in April 2010. It does the same thing! I thought I was alone. Count me in.

• Linda Cheek June 7, 2015, 7:51 pm

we purchased the RF 26 X AEWP Samsung Refrigerator from Lowes and have the icing and standing water . The refrigerator will not cool but freezer works fine. I am disgusted with Samsung. They should have to replace or repair these – We were pleased at first but have had nothing but spoiled food and problems . Please add me to your lawsuit.

• robbie lapeyrouse June 10, 2015, 3:07 pm

I have a rf217acpn freeze up once a month repair said cannot be fixed. I would like take part in law suit , been going on for two years

• barbara j.tabaka June 10, 2015, 11:33 pm

my samsung frig is not cooling proper and bottom freezer freezes too much which broke ice -maker, i’m still waiting for parts to fix it

• Russell Brewer June 12, 2015, 2:10 pm

Model RF268ABRS is a total lemon. Nothing on this device works.

To date:
    The coils freezing over has happened twice. Each time causing a total loss of freezer contents.

Top icemaker froze over in the corner of the trey causing the ice crushing mechanism to break the ice tray and plastic pieces fell through the dispenser into someones cup. My elderly mother pulled a piece out of her mouth! Thank god she did not choke!

The bottom ice maker has failed multiple times and the design of it is an colossal failure. Anyone who has dealt with this knows exactly what I am taking about. It is currently not working.

The main instrument panel where the dispenser is located is currently not working. This is the second one that has gone bad and is a known problem. Currently in need of a third one.

All drawer mechanisms stick shut. To open the vegetable door or freezer door or ice maker takes full strength to the point of almost breaking something to get open.

Even the casters seem broken as we have to routinely pulled the fridge out to reset power due to frozen coils or reset the instrument panel. Just getting the casters to roll is a total ordeal and just sums up the fact that this machine is a total Samsung failure that we paid 2600.00 for.

Please someone that can help read this comment. We do not have the money to keep shoveling into this thing that is only a couple of years old.

Russell Brewer
    251-605-2552

• Carlos chu June 14, 2015, 1:33 pm

Same thing happen with my fridge model rs267tdrs …. What we can do ?

• Denis June 14, 2015, 2:28 pm

Same Problem. I have a Samsung RS265TDRS. Paid $1350 for this piece of junk. Puddles of water on the floor, fan iced up, lack of airflow, fridge warms up. Have to defrost manually. I’m pissed. I want to be a part of the Lawsuit.

• Kelsey July 7, 2015, 7:50 pm

Samsung rs265tdrs is junk! I have had it less than 3 years and it won’t cool… Constantly freezing up, water leaking on the floor.

• Denny Davis June 16, 2015, 6:58 pm

My RS261MDWP/XAA Samsung frig does ice up. They won’t fix it. What a piece of Japan Crap! How do I get in on the class action?

• jim karolak June 18, 2015, 10:13 am

I have an RF 263 series refrigerator that keeps icing up preventing the fan from turning and the refrigerator from cooling. They installed a shepherd’s hook into the water line and yet the problem persists. I, too, would like to be included in the class action lawsuit against Samsung.

• David Price June 20, 2015, 9:38 am

We are currently waiting for our fridge to be repaired – Model RS26TTDRS. Same problem freezing up the coils at the back of the refrigerator side. The Technician is waiting for parts on order. Cost of parts $400. Once they’ve arrived we need to thaw the fridge for 24 hours before he can install – Immense inconvenience. For the money you pay for these fridges it’s reasonable to have a high expectation of quality of equipment and proactive recalls. If the lawsuit was started in 2011 how come it’s not come to a conclusion and why have we not heard from Samsung?

• Val Kosiecki June 22, 2015, 7:53 am

I purchased RS267TDRRS side by side in 2011. It broke down three times since (first time right after warranty expired!!!!). I’m sick of spending $200 on repair every time it breaks down. I would like to be included in this lawsuit

• Robert Hodel June 22, 2015, 10:29 am

Would like to be included in this lawsuit. Have a RS267TDWP side by side Samsung. Fan noise problem. Would like a refund or new refrigerator with problem corrected.

• cora lee cumbie June 22, 2015, 2:00 pm

i have a samsung rs263tdbp refrigerator, that no longer cools, freezer works fine. have gooten no satisfaction out of samsung

• ben June 24, 2015, 3:34 pm

I have a RS2530B and that gave me the same problems.

• Danny Owens June 27, 2015, 2:44 am

Water leaking

• Mary June 27, 2015, 12:55 pm

It sounds like most of us purchased our Samsung Refrigerator at Lowe’s.
    Why does Lowe’s continue to sell these faulty Samsung products to it’s customers ??
    I think that if Lowe’s stopped stocking Samsung Refgerator’s and did not sell them any longer to their customers, that would hurt Samsung more than any of us could, and would prevent new purchasers from buying these bad units.

• gary hitchcock June 27, 2015, 1:00 pm

I wrote negative reviews on Amazon and where I bought my refrigerator and in a few weeks I got an email from a VP at Samsung offering me a pro-rated refund. I rejected their offer and got a full price refund from where I bought it. I said the same thing to them, why did you sell a
    product known to be involved in a class action suit.

• Amy Keup June 28, 2015, 2:48 pm

Good afternoon. We are experiencing the same difficulties with our Samsung Model: RF266AERS. It is 3 years old and we have spent time on repeat service visits only for it to happen over and over. A thick layer of ice forms on the tray under the deli drawer. Then, the fan in the refrigerator gets louder and louder and we have to remove all of the food, put in coolers with ice, and defrost the entire refrigerator. Unfortunately, it is happening closer and closer together so we have little time that our refrigerator actually works. If possible, we would like to join the class action lawsuit.
    Amy Keup
    Waukesha, WI
    ackeup@wi.rr.com

• Amy Willis June 29, 2015, 1:17 pm

WE purchased model RF263AEWP from Lowes about 2 years ago. We have had water leaking from bottom. Sheet of ice forming under deli drawer and now a loud buzzing noise that stops only when we open the door. We would like to be included in lawsuit.

• Laura Flaksman June 29, 2015, 8:11 pm

We purchased the RF197ACRS model in December of 2013. We just started experiencing these problems as well. Huge puddles in the bottom. I would like to be included in the class action lawsuit. Please include me.

• Calvin G July 1, 2015, 2:16 pm

How does one join this class action lawsuit? I’ve been having this issue since i purchased the Samsung fridge, and about 2 years ago I paid to have a tech repair it. It’s happening again, and i’m just going to defrost it to avoid paying another service charge.

• Scott Hall July 3, 2015, 1:18 pm

We bough our RS265TDRS two years ago. The coil had to be replaced within the first 3 months. Just recently, the ice maker stopped working. We have attempted to reset it multiple time, but it doesn’t fix the issue. This was a huge expense for us and we are very disappointed with the quality and reliability. I really don’t want to spend the money to have it replaced, but there doesn’t seem to be another option. Samsung needs to admit that they designed a low quality product and do whats best for their customers. Please replace our refrigerator.

• Gary Shepherd July 7, 2015, 7:25 am

Samsung model #RM255LASH refrigerator started freezing up . It is only about 5 years old and has been work on two times. I am not going to spend any more money on it. I would like to be included in the class action lawsuit.

• Patti July 7, 2015, 6:30 pm

So upset, my beautiful French door Samsung, purchased at Lowes less than 2 years has had many service calls, and today I was informed the coils are frozen solid, no air is circulating, and there is nothing they can do! It is the main problem according to my repairman, he said most of them are not able to be fixed! This is just so wrong! He said Samsung will not take responsibility for it, but , I will join this class action suit for sure! Just have to research and find out how do that, any suggestions, please?

• Andrew Sparks July 10, 2015, 8:03 pm

I have experience the same problem, icing up of my Samsung refrigerator. Samsung referred me to a local repair shop as the warranty had expired. Paid $110 for a technician to do a visit where he asked to borrow a hair dryer to help defrost the refrigerator. Still is icing up every few months.

• Allyson Trionfo July 8, 2015, 11:52 pm

I too own a Samsung Refrigerator model #RF217ACBP. Same problem as everyone else, water under the crisper drawer, I did have someone come out and repair it but my ice maker continues to freeze and it can’t always make ice. How do I get in on this class action lawsuit? This fridge has been nothing but problems. Now my crisper drawer is cracked and of course because they say my warranty only covers mechanical issues forget them replacing the drawer. I feel bad for anyone who didn’t have their coils fixed where it is freezing and leaving water under their drawers, I did catch mine in time but it was just leaving a big puddle under my crisper drawer and would leak out everywhere. I just want in on the lawsuit for sure because I believe Samsung should step up and take responsibility for a product they are selling that is just so messed up.

• William Williams July 9, 2015, 12:30 pm

I also have a Samsung RS267LBSH that the coil has frozen and I was told that the heater is bad not allowing the ice to thaw from the coil. I was told that the $2600.00 refrigerator I bought will cost upwards of $1500.00 to repair. I called Samsung and all thy offered me was an extended warranty. The repairman told me this was a very common problem with Samsung Refrigerators.

• Bill Thielman July 13, 2015, 4:00 pm

About four years ago we bought one of you Refrigerator/Freezers. To be specific it was a:
    Model #: RFZ67AEWP
    Serial #: JJOD4GBB400216J
    First, a little background on me. For about 25 years as an engineer I designed commercial Ice Makers ( Ice-O-Matic and Cold Draft) and Refrigerators and Freezers (Traulsen) so I have a bit of a working knowledge about the issues below.
    After the installation we opened it up and noticed that the two labels on the left interior wall were stuck on crooked. To us this was a sign that if the person in charge of applying these stickers had no pride in the job they were hired to do. Then to think that the Quality Control Department didn’t care enough to have it corrected, what does it say about the rest of the unit?
    Next, after it ran for a while we tried the Ice Dispenser. After dispensing some ice and removing the glass, about a second later another cube was dispensed which bounced off the tray (the glass was already removed) and onto the floor. I thought this was maybe a “start-up” glitch. I was wrong. My best guess is that least one time out of eight uses, one or two cubes are dispensed after the glass has been remover from the actuator.
    Then, after about a year, we notice ice buildup on the evaporator. We shut the unit off, emptied everything out and left the doors open to defrost the evaporator. I then removed the cover to see if there was something obviously affecting the proper function. I didn’t notice anything so I reassembled it, turned it back on and put the food back in.
    About six months later the evaporator was frozen up again. This time we called the Sears Service Department (we bought it through Sears). They sent out a technician to fix the problem. (He also broke the water supply line to the ice maker which caused $30,000 worth of damage to our house.)
    After about another six months the evaporator was frozen, again. This time we called a well respected local appliance repair service. The only thing he could deduce was that “maybe the Mother-Board was bad”. He ordered a new one and installed it. He also mentioned he had seen “a lot of issues with Samsung refrigerators”.
    Here it is, six month later and guess what, it’s frozen up again.
    After about the first year of ownership we seriously thought about throwing this piece of junk away, but we spent so much money on it we decided to continue to try to make it work. Now after another three years (and many hundred dollars) we realize what a mistake this has been. I will make a point (via e-mail and word-of-mouth) that as many people as possible know my opinion of this product.

Please add us to the law suit.

Bill & Bonnie Thielman,
    91182 Territorial Road
    Junction City, Oregon
    97448

• O. J. Turner July 13, 2015, 4:13 pm

The comments above outline our problems, so no need to review that. Worst Refrigerator Freezer we’ve ever had/seen/known of. Ice Maker blasts ice all over the floor with even gentle pushing on the lever; ice freezing unit is so loud it wakes people upstairs; freezing unit coils freeze up; have to unplug and empty the whole unit to defrost (which it’s not supposed to do). Dismal excuse for even a cheap refrigerator, much less one that costs this much. I would like to join the lawsuit. I want them to come pick this unit up and drop a new one in place. Crappy since we bought it.

• Joe Matzer July 14, 2015, 3:38 pm

How may we be added to the class action lawsuit & Settlement?
    We have a model RS265TDBP Date of Manufacture: June 2012
    We are having to also spend money fixing this mess.

Thank you!

• eric gaylord July 15, 2015, 9:58 am

My refrigerator is leaking and the heater pad behind the water tank quit working.
    I am a very loyal customer of Samsung products and I am in need of help getting this
    Product repaired.

Model: RS2545SH
    Serial Number: 129043CY901172 M

• Noel De La Fuente July 15, 2015, 5:09 pm

I too own a Samsung Refrigerator (RS267) and have had so many problems with it, from coil freezing up to water leakage below the fridge. I have even had it serviced about a year after I bought it. I will NEVER buy a Samsung fridge again. I’m truly very disappointed with the product and service/support they (don’t) offer. It seemed I had to jump through so many hoops and call so many places just to get someone to come service it.

• Donna Gordon July 17, 2015, 7:01 am

We bought a RF26x Series freezer on bottom refrigerator in 2010. We have had several problem with ice maker freezing up and now we are having a problem with ice forming under the crisper drawers. We also had problems with water running from the water dispenser on front door of the refrigerator that wouldn’t shut off.

• Sherry July 19, 2015, 1:31 pm

We have had our Samsung RFG297 for a bit but just noticed last year that we started getting water under our deli drawer and it was freezing there making it impossible to pull the deli drawer out. We periodically pull the drawer out and clean out the bottom but would like to know if there is anyway we can still participate in the class action suit. We purchased our refrigerator at Lowes as we do all of our appliances.

What Do You Think? Share Your Class Action Lawsuit & Settlement Comments With Others Below.