≡ Menu

Samsung Refrigerator Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Filed Over Alleged Frozen Coil Defect

Samsung Refrigerator Owners File Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Against Samsung Over Alleged Defect That Causes Refrigerator Coils To Freeze Over.

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (hereafter “Samsung” or “Defendants”) in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (styled Jeff Weske, Jo Anna Frager and Darryl Myhre v. Samsung Electronics America, Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Civil Action Case No. 2:10-cv-04811-WJM -MF) alleging, among other things, that Samsung sold refrigerators containing a defect that causes the refrigerators’ coils to freeze over, resulting in the failure of the refrigerator to cool, which has caused consumers to suffer damages for lost groceries, spoilage and repairs, according to class action lawsuit news reports.

The Samsung refrigerator class action lawsuit complaint reportedly alleges that certain Samsung French door, side-by-side and bottom freezer refrigerators (model numbers RF266AASH, RS263BBWP, RB1955SH, RS2533SW, RS267LASH, RS267TDRS, RS2630WW) the refrigerators are designed and manufactured with heated coils that are intended to prevent excess frost from developing in the back of the machine, but instead of preventing frost, the coils allegedly allow frost and ice to build up in the refrigerators until the ice clogs and/or disables the machine’s fans, making it impossible for the fans to work to keep the machine cool.

The Samsung refrigerator coil class action lawsuit complaint is reportedly brought on behalf of the following putative class members, unless otherwise excluded:

All persons or entities residing in the United States who own, or have owned, Samsung refrigerator models RF266AASH, RS263BBWP, RB1955SH, RS2533SW, RS267LASH, RS267TDRS, RS2630WW and/or any other Samsung refrigerator model containing a defect that causes the refrigerator’s coils to ice over and the refrigerator to stop cooling.

For more information on the Samsung refrigerator coil class action lawsuit, read the Samsung class action complaint.

If You Have Thoughts On The Samsung Refrigerator Coil Class Action Lawsuit, Share Your Class Action Comments Below.

{ 810 comments… add one }

• Zack Vishoot August 28, 2014, 12:20 pm

Samsung model RF267AEPN
    Freezer/Ice maker not working at all. Fridge set at coldest temp and barely adequate.

Please add me and/or this machine to any class action.

Thanks

• Lewis Wolhar August 29, 2014, 10:16 am

Bought my RF26x series at Lowes 4 years ago. This is the first time my Coils in the back of the unit froze up. Defrosting it now. Please add me to the lawsuit

• Michelle August 29, 2014, 11:10 am

This is the same issue I have with my RF266ABPN. Samsung customer service conveniently said this is not a known problem to them, when a quick google search will tell you differently. I wish my model was included in your lawsuit.

• Claire Winans-Keech August 30, 2014, 3:07 pm

I have the Samsung RB217ABPN with the same problems. It started with water draining into the crisper drawers. Then the coils froze up so there was ice inside on the back wall hanging out of the breather holes. I was able to get the replacement parts but now it will not cool properly. I am so angry to have spent so much money for it to last only a few years. I wish to be added to the suit also.

• gg meredith September 1, 2014, 4:10 pm

Have Samsung RF26XAEBP with the same problems Bought it at Lowes 3 yard and 9 months ago. Please add me and this model to your suit also.

• Lloyd Reid September 1, 2014, 8:24 pm

We purchased model RF26VABBP from LOWEs around four years ago and we have the same problem with it freezing up and not cooling. We have to unplug it let it defrost then plug it back up. It has also developed a bad order that won’t go away. Please add us and this model to the law suit as well.

• Jen September 2, 2014, 8:28 pm

We have a Samsung model number RF263AEBP bought in 2011. We have been experiencing the same problem. Please add me and this model to your suit as well. Thank you.

• freda olive September 3, 2014, 9:58 am

I purchased Samsung RF26XA2RS/XAA from Lowes along with an extended warrenty. I have had my laminare floor ruined from water leaking down side of bottom freezers drawer. Repairman cleared drain and added heater probe and replaced new cover in March. Same problem again. My warrenty expires in November and am in a panic that I will have further problems. Please add me to the class action.

• Rajan Mathew September 3, 2014, 3:00 pm

I have a RS267LASH. It gave me same and many more issues relating to the exchange coil. Everything was fine until the extended warranty I had with Lowe’s. They are cool now, they cleared themselves saying its no more their problem. “Samsung have to deal with it” please add me in the suit.

• Joyce September 4, 2014, 3:56 pm

Having the same trouble with a fridge we purchased in April of 2013, I went online to find out how to clean coils and found class action lawsuit information instead. I went to the website for the District Court in New Jersey, got a phone number and found out you have to write a letter to the judge to request being added to the case. Website is here: http://www.njd.uscourts.gov/court-info/court-locations/newark. Judges for the case are Martini and Falk, you can get their names off the website. Write a letter with documentation about your purchase and any repair history, and mail to the Newark address. They will want the case number: Civil Action Case No. 2:10-cv-04811-WJM -MF. I am hoping to exchange at Sears on a defective merchandise policy; we will see. Otherwise, I will be joining the case myself.

• Grace Ochoa September 18, 2014, 12:02 pm

Hello Joyce,
      I purchased my “lemon” also through Sears in March of 2010. Any luck with Sears exchanging due to defect?

• Michael Coombs September 5, 2014, 10:58 am

I have the same problem with model RS265TDBP bought 3 years ago at Best Buy and has been serviced 3 times.

• Kathryn Gardella September 5, 2014, 10:55 pm

I purchased a home that had a samsung double door refrigerator and the freezer would not get cold enough. Had it serviced costing 300.00 plus dollars. Within a week the same problem occurred ( freezer motor fan) had service return at no charge. Not even a year later the same problem.. This fridge is a lemon and on its way to dump. If I could get reimbursed for repair, inconvience and loss of food three times , that would be great

• RICHARD RYAN September 6, 2014, 10:36 pm

MY THIRD TIME TO DEFROST THIS PIECE OF JUNK. MODEL RS263BBWP. I’LL NEVER BUY A SUMSUNG PRODUCT AGAIN.
    PLEASE ADD ME TO THE LAWSUIT.

• Felicia Chasteen September 7, 2014, 4:28 pm

I have a Samsung RS267LASH. My unit will not dispense water or ice! Please add me to this Lawsuit.

• Darrell Beene September 8, 2014, 10:21 am

This is the same issue I have with my RF266ABPN. Coils ice over, fan freezes to a stop and everything spoils in the fridge. It is a very long process to defrost not to mention loosing all you food. Please add me to this lawsuit.

• Deb Carpenter September 9, 2014, 9:38 am

I bought my RS267 refrigerator at Lowes in December 2010. Now completely unoperational. Please add me to the class action

• Deb Carpenter September 9, 2014, 9:40 am

Bought the RS267 refrigerator at Lowes in December 2010. Now it’s completely unoperational. Please add me to the class action.

• Renee Robinson September 10, 2014, 10:10 pm

This is round 2 of freeze up for my 6 year old Samsung RS275ACWP. 2 repairmen came out and told to defrost and they would come back. They found out about the issue with this lawsuit and advised me to research it. They canceled the third appointment I had with them. I thought I had fixed it on my own. Then, just as I was finally getting all my condiment collection renewed and the fridge full again, the fridge started making that awful fan on ice sound.

I am now trying to unplug the thing, see if it defrosts enough to limp through until I can figure my next step. I will plug it back up in a couple of hours, so wish me luck. It can’t be any worse for the food than loading it into those coolers tonight.

Samsung told me there was no lawsuit and that I just needed an authorized dealer. I will call tomorrow and talk to them. Not feeling hopeful.

We lived out of coolers the first time this happened and then I got sick of chasing down ice. That melted a wad of cash too.

• sevastian September 11, 2014, 9:54 pm

Hi.i have an rs267lash samsung fridge and have had the same problems repairing it hasnt helped just money down the drain.would like to get more information.thank you

• Roger Chidester September 12, 2014, 2:31 am

Purchased Samsung model RF4287HA French Door with freezer at bottom. I called Samsung and all they told me was the refrigerator was out of warranty but they could send a tech. The coils froze over on 9/11/2014. I am a technician so I took the cover off the coils which have the fans mounted on it. One fan was completely frozen over and the other had ice build up causing the impellers to hit it and make quit a noise. I manually defrosted the coils and removed all the ice from the fans. I will probably have to do this again in the future. I think maybe the reason the coils froze over is if the lower freezer drawer is completely full the ventilation slots in the door can be completely covered in the rear of the door. The day before the coils froze over I loaded the drawer to the max not realizing I had covered the vents. It is a bad design because the drawer still closed so I did not over fill it.

• Joyce September 12, 2014, 8:21 am

People, these websites cannot add you to their lawsuit. You have to add yourself by writing to the judges involved in New Jersey. See my post made Sept 4.

• Amy September 12, 2014, 8:44 am

PLEASE include my 2 year old worthless refrigerator model
    RF217acpn. I have taken it apart twice, defrosted and removed the back panel to fix the water freezing up and collecting in the veg drawers. From all the blogs, it is obvious Samsung is aware and did nothing to help the consumers. Thankful for the comments and videos from the public to help resolve the issue. No more Samsung products!

• Sadakat September 15, 2014, 11:07 am

My RF268ACRS facing the over freezing problem and due to excess ice on the base of the door is caused a crack. Please add me to this Law suit.

• Julie Shipman September 15, 2014, 5:02 pm

Rs263. Fan hitting ice. 3rd service call. Add me to the class action suit.

• Vijay Bhavanam September 16, 2014, 10:52 pm

I have Samsung RS267TDRS brought in 2010 from Sears. And it started giving noise because fan hitting the frosted ice since one week. It is very irritating and i can’t stay in home. Samsung says not under warranty. Called local repair person and it may cost me aroung 400 dollars to fix it. Samsung refrigerator failed just after 4 years. This is deceiving the people. Please add me.

• Joseph Chan September 17, 2014, 12:54 am

Please add me to lawsuit as well. Have a RF267AERS and have to defrost every two months from the fan hitting the ice. Have been living out of coolers the past 4 years since we purchased this junk in 2010.

• Debbie Byrom September 17, 2014, 6:37 pm

Having frozen coil problem with 3 year old RF297HG. wish I’d know this before I bought it!

• ken Kurzyniec September 17, 2014, 7:55 pm

I have the RS267LASH side be side and the freezer/ice maker does not work/ freeze on the coldest setting. Please add me to the class action suit.

• Tamar Russ September 18, 2014, 10:07 am

I also have that problem with my unit. I love it and want this to work out but can’t deal with it doing this all the time. Please add me to the act or let me know that I can’t be added. and when would this be taken care of. Need my unit to work asap or what I am to do.

• Grace Ochoa September 18, 2014, 11:52 am

I have the french door RF266AEBP model….its only 4 years old and have already paid close to $500 in repairs due to the fan freezing over. Am still having issues with water pooling at the bottom of the refrigerator section. Please add this model to class action.

• Jeff Hammett September 18, 2014, 10:30 pm

I have a RS2545SH with the same problem. Purchased from Costco. Please add me.

• ron baker September 19, 2014, 12:03 pm

I have a model RS267LASH and the freezer works but the refrigerator side does not cool. Add me.

• Douglas Gillespie September 20, 2014, 8:48 am

I have a RS253BAWW and the refrigerator side does not cool due to ice build up. Please add me to this action

• Chris Skinner September 20, 2014, 7:01 pm

Please add me to the lawsuit! We purchased our Samsuck RS267TDRS from Lowes in December 2010 and the refrigerator will no longer cool consistently.

• KR Wise September 21, 2014, 10:44 am

Purchased a Samsung french door refrigerator in 2009 from Sears. At almost exactly 4 yrs, it stopped cooling. Board put in at our cost of almost $300, did not help, weeks later, they put in compressor under warranty. This worked for 10 months and we are out again, new board at our cost and it still did not work. Now, they say it needs sensors. We have lost 2 refrigerators full of food in this 29 cubic foot beast. The ice melted and flooded the kitchen the second time. All in all, we have been out of business with this fridge for 7 weeks within the past 10 months. The repair company has to order parts which takes a week, then they call to set up appt which takes another week to get them back. It goes on and on. Samsung Customer Service has bounced us around all over, and their incessant “have a nice day” is like giving you the middle finger. All we want is what we paid $2,300 for which is a working refrigerator. I am beginning to think that the repair companies know of these problems and say nothing as they make money. Model #RFG297AABP/XAA.

• KR Wise September 21, 2014, 10:46 am

Already submitted a narrative but please add me to lawsuit.

• Hugo Garnica September 21, 2014, 5:05 pm

I bought a Samsung RF267AERS and is constantly frosting over. Can I be Added?

• Leng Vang September 21, 2014, 5:17 pm

Wow!! I thought mine was unique with this problem. I purchased a Samsung RS267TDRS/XAA from Sears in July 2010. It just died in the same frostbit as everyone here’s in exactly 4 years 2 months. I think mine is the compressor. If I kick the compressor couple times before plug in, it works for about 10-20 minutes before it dies (error 22 E). Checked the circuit board (tested relays) they worked. When starting up, relays are clicking but compressor and coil fan not humming. Talked to Samsung support, they basically said it needs service. I’m not holding my breath. I should’ve went with Worpool or Kenmore back then as I was purchasing the entire kitchen appliance and everything I bound was Kenmore except the frig, decided to go with Samsung — big mistake now. Well I guess I will go back to get that Kenmore now. If this law suit ever get off the ground, count me in.

• Melissa Arrington September 23, 2014, 9:44 am

I bought the Samsung french door fridge in 2012 and the freezer started icing up and freezing the door shut at 9 months old. I had checked consumer reports and saw no mention of defective coil and evaporation process. Samsung won’t fix it now because it is out of warranty. they also will not admit to the design flaw and defective operation. what recourse do I have now? I was not notified of the lawsuit, I looked for it’s existence online and found it.

What Do You Think? Share Your Class Action Lawsuit & Settlement Comments With Others Below.