If You Purchased or Leased, New or Used, Certain Volkswagen VW or Audi Vehicles, Or If You Now Own Or Lease Certain Volkwagen or Audi Automobiles, Your Rights May Be Affected By The Volkswagen Class Action Settlement.
A class action settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit pending against Volkswagen AG, Beteiligungs Gesellschaft MBH, Volkswagen Group of America (f/k/a Volkswagen of America, Inc.), Audi AG, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. d/b/a Audi of America, Inc., Audi of America, LLC and Volkswagen DE Mexico, S.A. DE C.V. (collectively “Defendants”) in the United States District Court District of New Jersey (styled John Dewey, Jacqueline Delguercio, et al v. Volkswagen of America, Inc. et al. Case Nos. 07-CV-2249-FSH-PS and 07-CV-2361-FSH-PS (consolidated)) alleging that certain Volkswagen VW and Audi vehicles were susceptible to water ingress into the passenger compartment through sunroof drains and/or the fresh air plenum, that such vehicles were damaged or were at risk of sustaining damages and that defendant failed to provide appropriate maintenance instructions to prevent or mitigate the effects of the alleged defects and pay for damages sustained, according to the Volkswagen VW & Audi Water Ingress Class Action Settlement Notice.
The Volkswagen VW & Audi sunroof drain and/or fresh air plenum water ingress class action settlement reportedly provides, among other things, that if the settlement is finally approved by the court, the Defendants will provide certain members of the Settlement Class with payment for specified repairs and water related damage from a reimbursement fund of $8,000,000.
Volkswagen settlement class members who currently own or lease a settlement class vehicle will receive Revised Maintenance Schedules recommending inspection (and cleaning if necessary) of the plenum drain systems, and sunroof drain systems (where applicable) every 40,000 miles or every 2 years, whichever comes first and additional reminders that these areas should be periodically checked for and kept clear of accumulations of foreign matter and debris.
Some members of the Volkswagen class action settlement class will be eligible to have their sunroof drain systems modified and inspected through an instituted Service Action that addresses water ingress issues.
Your rights may be affected by the proposed Volkswagen class action settlement if:
(1) you ever purchased or leased, new or used:
• 2001- 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle equipped with sunroof (VIN below 3VW—1C-7M514779)
• 2001-2007 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan or Wagon equipped with sunroof
• 2001-2007 Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen GTI equipped with sunroof
• 1999-2005 Volkswagen Passat.
• 1997-2006 Audi A4 B5 & B6 Platforms (including Cabrio, S and RS versions).
• 1998-2005 Audi A6 C5 Platform (including Allroad, S and RS versions); or
(2) you now own or lease:
• 1998-2000 and 2007-2009 Volkswagen New Beetle equipped with sunroof (VIN 3VW—1C-7M514779 or higher)
• 1997-2000, and 2008-2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan or Wagon equipped with sunroof
• 1997-2000 Volkswagen Golf/GTI & 2008 – 2009 Volkswagen Golf/GTI equipped with sunroof
• 1997 & 2006-2009 Volkswagen Passat equipped with sunroof
• 1998 Volkswagen Passat
• 2004-2009 Volkswagen Touareg
• 2005-2008 Audi A4 B7 equipped with sunroof (including S and RS versions)
• 1997 & 2005-2009 Audi A6 C6 platform equipped with sunroof (including S & RS versions)
• 1997-2009 Audi A8 (including S versions)
A final fairness hearing is scheduled to be held before Judge Patty Shwartz on July 26, 2010 at 10:00 a.m., to determine, inter alia, whether the proposed settlement should be finally approved. The class action settlement hearing is scheduled to take place at the Frank R. Lautenberg United States Post Office and Courthouse, 2 Federal Square, Newark, NJ 07102, Courtroom 10.
For more information on the Volkswagen class action lawsuit settlement and potential settlement benefits, and/or for updates on the settlement, call the Volkswagen VW & Audi Water Ingress Settlement Claims Administrator at 1-877-740-6992, send an email to email@example.com or visit the Volkswagen VW & Audi class action settlement website:
February 2014 Update: On February 12, 2014 the Third Circuit Court of Appeals issued a decision affirming the district’s courts’ approval of the parties modified settlement agreement which placed all class members on equal footing and which awarded class counsel a little more than $9 million in attorneys fees.